Saturday, December 13, 2014

Not too late to post about Turkey Day I hope!

Not on top of my game!
But let's be honest.. When I posted about Halloween on Halloween
we all knew it was bound to go down hill from there.

Our Thanksgiving was wonderful!
We hosted for the first time and I was scared out of my mind. 
Honestly, I was probably overly OCD.

I wrote out a list of all the food and how long it would take to cook..
Then made a whole schedule for the night before & day of, so that I would 
know when to do everything. Crazy lady right?

First off.. the table! (done the day before.)
We only had cheapo plastic plates and I made Kevin let me
get glass ones and fancy (98 cent) glasses.
We are super classy right?
I went simple (translate: lazy) on my "center piece" and used pumpkins 
we got for Halloween but never carved.



The night before, I also did a bunch of prep. Like cutting stuff up, making dressing, etc.
But that is boring so it doesn't get a picture.

Thanksgiving morning I made a pie by myself for the first time!
I was probably a little too proud of it.
It tasted DAAANG good.
But it was kind of ugly.
So it also doesn't get a picture.

Meanwhile, Maylen plays with her pilgrim and indian paper dolls.

More cooking, more cooking, blah blah blah
Then I got May ready for the day...
Darn thing looked SO cute I had to forget about
my scheduled day for a sec and do an impromptu photo shoot.




I mean really...... my heart explodes on the daily!

Cooking, dishes, cooking, dishes.
The trend continues..
..but I got to stare at these precious works of art.
So I can't complain.


Maylen enjoyed a mid-day treat and ate a cornucopia "craft"
she made with our nanny buddy the day before.


(this was supposed to be done with pointy cones but we only had ones with a flat bottom. So it isn't beautiful. But May had a blast making it and picking out her snacks to go inside.. so who cares!)


A couple we became friends with through Kev's program came over.
We lounged, watched sports, chatted, and played games.
Although I was way too worried about the food to actually lounge
and was in and out of the kitchen the whole time.
(Luckily our apt is tiny so that is like two feet away.)


My crazy lady list might have been a little overboard..
BUT IT WORKED! Everything finished at the same time
and was PERFECT!

Finally it was time to eat.

Started out with this beautiful salad that was even yummier than it looks.
Yes, I am tooting my own horn. Not sorry about it either.

Kevin carved the bird. So manly.


Then we stuffed our faces with traditional Thanksgiving spoils.


It was such a great day to reflect on how richly blessed we are.
I have so much to be thankful for.

Moving across the country hasn't been easy.
There are lots of hard, homesick days.Especially around the holidays. 
But getting to be with Kevin & Maylen  is pure sunshine.
I love these two more than I can possibly say and am
the luckiest to be able to spend my days with them.


We hope your holiday season is as happy and magical as ours has been!
--Lots of love, the Holcombe's--






No comments:

Post a Comment